You are here
EL at VVM
English Language Program (ELP)
EL StaffGrade 6 and EL Lead: Doneva Batty - (952) 681-5855 - Email
Grade 7: Katrina Van Ruyhven - (952) 681-5855 - Email
Grade 8:- (952) 681-5855 -
EL Program Philosophy
The purpose of the Bloomington EL Program is to prepare EL students to perform at grade-level or above. Our goal is to meet the linguistic, academic and cultural needs of the students. Students acquire language at different rates. This is particularly true of students who traditionally require EL services for a longer period of time due to limited schooling or literacy in their first language. The needs of all ELs are addressed through explicit instruction in academic language, study skills and critical thinking skills. We will advocate for the use of the student’s home language and development of early literacy skills at home and in the classroom because those literacy skills will transfer to English. All teachers are responsible for providing core instruction that meets the content and language needs of English Learners. EL teachers are a resource for classroom teachers to help them achieve that goal.
EL Instruction at Bloomington Public Schools
- WIDA Standards correlated to MN and Bloomington core standards
- Individualized language goals based on student proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Social Instructional Language, Language of Math, Science, Social Studies and Language Arts
- The language functions, structures, vocabulary, comprehension skills and background that are necessary for the student to acquire English and learn grade-level content
- The cultural needs of the students and families
- If reading meets the language and developmental goals of the students, the EL teacher will use reading as a context for teaching language. This includes, decoding, fluency and phonemic awareness with a heavy emphasis on comprehension, vocabulary and grammar-related skills.